Be sure to read this entire guide thoroughly before you begin, follow instructions exactly, and get ready for beautiful, long-lasting, shiny hair color.
We hope these instructions are clear. However, if you have any questions or concerns, please call our Technical Hotline at 800-784-8212. Our color specialists are available 8:00am – 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time Monday through Friday for your convenience.
NATURCOLOR is a permanent herbal-based hair color gel available in 31 beautiful shades that add incredible gloss while gently coloring your hair. Natural plant pigments color with a subtle transparent effect. Your gray hair will take the color differently than the darker portions of hair allowing for subtle color on color tones that look natural and never appear “dyed”.
NATURCOLOR can be used to complement your natural hair color while covering gray. It can be used to add subtle, but radiant highlights, or to dramatically change your existing hair color. It will not fade as other hair color products do.
NATURCOLOR was designed for chemically sensitive people. Every effort has been made to substitute safe, natural ingredients for the harsh often dangerous chemicals that pervade the hair-care industry. A few people may have allergic reactions, even to natural ingredients which is why we recommend a skin sensitivity test.
NATURCOLOR is so gentle it can be used over other hair color products or on permed or relaxed hair. We suggest ten days between perms and color (perm first).
CHOOSING YOUR COLOR
The “N” (Natural) Series was specially formulated with the strongest pigments to “cover” gray. If your goal is to cover gray, begin with the choice of a color in the “N” series. The other color groups (C,M,R,D) are made with lighter pigments. They will color in a more transparent effect and are also designed to be mixed with the “N” Series when special custom tints or highlights are desired. When choosing a color, be aware that you cannot go from dark to light with Naturcolor.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN Follow these instructions to perform a skin sensitivity test even if you have been coloring your hair for some time. Be sure to do this test before each and every coloring.
- Prepare a test area: a small area of skin behind the ear or in the bend of the elbow should be cleansed, using either soap and water or alcohol. (Do not test near any skin lesion).
- Mix one capful of the NATURCOLOR herbal based haircolor gel with one capful of the Naturfix Gel Developer in a plastic or glass container. Do not use metal.
- Apply this mixture to your test area with a cotton-tipped applicator.
- Let the test area dry. Do not wash or disturb for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, the area should be washed gently with soap and water. If no irritation or inflammation is apparent, it is usually assumed that no hypersensitivity to the dye exists. The test should, however, be carried out before each application.
If there is a reaction in or around the test area, this is an indication that you should not be using NATURCOLOR at this time. On no account should the hair dye be used for dyeing eyebrows or eyelashes as severe inflammation of the eye or even blindness may result. Call 800-784-8212 with questions.
NATURCOLOR should be applied on clean dry hair. You should shampoo in advance if your hair is coated with gel, mousse, oil, conditioner or hairspray, otherwise it is not necessary. If you shampoo first, do not condition, wait until hair is dry and then proceed with color application.
If this is the first time coloring your hair, follow the instructions below to apply the color throughout your hair and allow it to set for 45 minutes. If you are re-coloring your hair, follow the instructions for a “touch-up”.
- Undyed hair: the mixture should be placed on the entire head of hair (roots and ends) and left for 45 minutes.
- Regular “touch up” (to blend the color of the roots and ends between regular coloring): apply to the root area, leave for 20 minutes, comb through to the ends and leave another 25 minutes (20+25=45 minutes total).
- Root only “touch up” (new outgrowth only): apply the solution to the root area only and leave for 45 minutes.
- Mix two ounces (60ml) of NATURCOLOR Haircolor Gel with two ounces of NATURFIX Gel Developer in the plastic applicator bottle. If you are blending two colors, remember that the NATURCOLOR Haircolor Gel (the actual color) and the Gel Developer must always be mixed in equal amounts. Cover the hole in the tip of the applicator bottle and gently turn the bottle to blend the liquids. Remaining unmixed product may be kept for up to three years, but once mixed, it should be used promptly. (For a “touch-up” application or for short hair, mix one ounce or 30 ml of NATURCOLOR Haircolor Gel with one ounce of the NATURFIX Gel Developer.)
- Using gloves, apply the mixture to the root area in 1/4 inch partings using the applicator tip as your guide. Although thorough coverage is imperative, do not oversaturate. Product should not be dripping. Proceed across the entire scalp applying the mixture to one section at a time.
- Apply the mixture carefully to the hairline around the face and at the temples. Using the tips of your fingers, gently pat the mixture upwards into the roots. (For touch-ups the mixture should rest on this new outgrowth at the roots for 45 minutes. You may then skip to step 6 if the color on the length of your hair is the desired color, or pull color through to the ends of your hair at the 20 minute mark if you wish to re-color the length.)
- To complete application to the rest of the hair, use a wide tooth comb to draw the mixture from the root area to the ends of the hair. Apply more of the color mixture to the hair as needed while continuing the combing procedure. (For touch-ups, it is not always necessary to comb the mixture through to the ends.)
- Using the fingers, massage the mixture throughout the hair ensuring complete saturation. Allow the mixture to set for a total of 45 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and use enclosed sample of After Color Rinse Treatment shampoo. You may follow with enclosed sample of Echinacea Herbacreme Conditioner for best color retention. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and style as usual.
To keep your hair looking its best, NATURCOLOR offers a full line of hair care products formulated to protect and complement this specific haircolor. Please visit our products page.